Monthly activities: October activities
There is never a dull moment in our home. October has (so far!) been action packed with regular monthly activities.
Our activities co-coordinators have everything covered. There are regular activities to give routine and structure to each week. Also special events everyone looks forward to and themed activities that follow the seasons.
The residents are always asked for their input and their happiness and wellbeing is at the heart of everything we do.
Regular monthly activities out and about
- Singing for the Brain sessions in Bewdley are a huge hit. Residents meet their friends, sing together and have a catch up over tea and biscuits. They are held every second and fourth Thursday each month. For more information about the benefits of Singing for the Brain for dementia care, please click this link https://www.heritagemanor.co.uk/2016/12/singing-for-the-brain/
- Visits to the Dementia Cafe in Stourport give a chance to share activities with residents from another home in our group, Astley Hall. On our last visit, we all made bird feeders and potted daffodil bulbs, which we brought back to Summerdyne. Cooks Garden Centre kindly provided all the kit to make this possible.
- The Garden Centre is also a regular favourite place for our residents to visit. A spot of retail therapy and everyone loves coffee and cake at their cafe. Our residents also love their aquarium.
- Al fresco fish and chips by the river in Bewdley is a lovely trip. This is a regular favourite throughout the summer. We made the most of the recent warm October days to get out for another al fresco meal. It’s a lovely spot by the river. Eeryone enjoyed seeing the autumn colours, whilst eating fish and chips from the paper.
In house entertainment
This month started on a high after the success of our Macmillan coffee morning fundraiser. It was lovely to host family and friends who are always very welcome to join us.
The opportunity for a song and dance
- Adele’s music therapy is a fantastic monthly session for our residents. She sings all the classics and encourages residents to join in with percussion instruments and props.
- Richard King entertained everyone with an afternoon of big band hits.
- The JDR Trio also gave a fantastic performance bringing a full band and brought the house down!
For the quieter moments…
- We often have a jigsaw on the go. Its very tempting for residents and visitors to stop to try to fit in a few pieces. We have nearly completed our latest 1000 piece puzzle!
- Visits from therapy dogs. It is wonderful for those who used to have a pet, to have the chance to cuddle one of the dogs who regularly visit our home. Animal assisted therapy is well known to enhance the lives of many people and it can be very beneficial to those with dementia.
- Craft activities are often themed around the seasons. We now have a spook-tacular Halloween mobile hanging in the conservatory. Residents created this together, with paper bats and glitter.
- The Knit and Natter group have made some stunning poppies for Remembrance Sunday on 12th November. These are on sale in our reception whilst stocks last. You had better be quick! They are £2 each, with proceeds to The Poppy Appeal. A lovely time to knit together and share memories of wartime and loved ones lost.
What are the next monthly activities?
Halloween, pumpkins, bonfire night, and lots and lots of Christmas preparations!
The Knit and Natter group are starting to make the Christmas decorations and there are many activities planned as we plan for our Christmas Fayre. This is an event for our residents and their families and is a fantastic way to start the festivities.
Watch this space and our homes Facebook page for all our news!