We really have kicked off the summer season here at West Eaton, starting with our Jubilee celebrations.
For us, the Jubilee was all about togetherness, celebrating with family and friends and our local community.
We entered our sister home, The Lawns, Royal themed Scarecrow Competition. Our residents have great plans for our garden, including a wild flower area, so they made Titania Queen of the Fairies. A brilliant team effort!
Jubilee Thursday began watching the Changing of the Guard, with scampi and chips and ice cream tubs for desert! On the Friday, we had a leisurely breakfast watching the service. Then all sat down together for our celebratory three course “Street Party” lunch. Plus games, such as “What’s in the Queen’s handbag?” Well, now we know it’s a marmalade sandwich, of course!
We decorated a tiered cake to mark the occasion and enjoyed it with some Pimm’s. Listening to Eleanor’s grandson playing the violin for us, rounded off the day beautifully.
Nothing says summer like……
- Elderflower cordial. There is a saying that summer begins when the elder is in flower. Residents relived their childhood summer days, picking elderflowers and making their own cordial. They shared it with our carers as part of their Thank You for Carers Week.
- Music and dance. Move aside Glastonbury, we enjoyed music and dancing with Rob and Phil. Caron and Arthur enjoyed a dance https://www.facebook.com/westeatonhome/videos/541731317437133 and Mayra put our girls through their paces Columbian style! https://www.facebook.com/westeatonhome/videos/525065799334139
- Dining al-fresco! Whether icecreams in the garden, a morning cuppa with the papers or dinner outside. Just lovely to be out enjoy each others company. Especially when pampering moved al-fresco too! Nail treatments listening to the birds and with a gentle breeze – totally holistic.
- Keeping the slugs and snails at bay. Another perk of having our own chickens: Their shells are collected and ground up to scatter in the garden to deter the slugs and snails. Residents planted up Jubilee themed window boxes and our sweet peas are taking off. Their scent is amazing.
- Day trips. A few of the residents spent the first day of summer at Burford House thanks to our wonderful driver John at Teme Wheels and his electric vehicle. We found lots of inspiration for our garden plans and bought a few plants from the garden centre as a start!
- Summer holidays. When someone asks “what have you been up to today?” it’s not often you can reply that you swam with dolphins! Or were launched into space! But thanks to Hugh and his toys and Learn VR, that is exactly what Di and Geoff enjoyed doing! Such a fun new experience.